new campaign= your emails and letters needed

NEW: HELP OPEN PAROLE with your support letters and emails to Parole Chairman TATE! Starting September first 2021,we will be posting stories and documents of prisoners asking for support letters to Parole Chairman Tate for their upcoming hearings and Tate's review. Their documents will be here to provide proof of statements made and we ask that readers consider helping by writing or emailing the chairman. Before I started this work , I wrote regularly for Amnesty International- they would send out stories of those needing support in struggles against foreign totalitarian regimes and it helped. Now we can do the same here for a for people entombed in a system that destroys them , their communities and families- ALL COMMISSION DECISIONS ARE REVIEWED BY THE CHAIRMAN and he does overrule, so you letters can make a big difference. please help. Peg Swan, Founder, Forum for Understanding Prisons ( FFUP),a 501c3 non-profit,

Monday, February 24, 2020

Doug Drankiewicz Continues Unfair Deferrals

On February 14, nine days after the Parole Commission meeting where Chairman Tate laid out expectation that commissioners would be pursuing releases rather than making excuses for deferrals, Commissioner Doug Drankiewicz did Ronnie Schultz an injustice in keeping with his old ways.

We wrote a letter to Tate, requesting that we reverse Drankiewicz's decision and grant Ronnie a release. This is not the only example we've received of DOC officials and commissioners continuing to obstruct release of people sentenced under the old law.

The Program Review Committee (PRC) and the Bureau of Classification and Movement (BOCM) are the main parts of the DOC that are causing these snags, and we hope Chairman Tate will grant release for Ronnie and others like him, regardless of whether BOCM and PRC have cooperated with his expectations or not. 
Ronnie Schultz

Ronnie asked us to share his story, if you know someone serving time under the old law who would also like their story told, please send it to us. We can leave off their name or identifying details if they're worried about retaliation by DOC or Parole Commissioners.

If you'd like to write support letters to Ronnie Schultz, his address is: 


Ronnie Schultz
293187
Oshkosh Correctional Institution
PO Box 3310
Oshkosh, WI 54903-3310

Hello Chairperson Tate,
I recently received a letter from a prisoner named Ronnie Schultz. Ronnie was deferred without fair reason by Doug Drankiewicz on February 14. Drankiewicz had incorrect information about old conduct reports, where Mr. Schultz mother lives, and wouldn't accept programming Mr Schultz had completed. I've included Mr Schultz's letter below so you can see the details and a little more about him.

I hope you will modify Mr Drankiewicz deferral suggestion. It seems Mr Schultz is ready to come home, and this is a very good example of Mr Drankiewicz not aligning with your directions and intentions for the commission. 
Thank you
Ben Turk


Thank you both for advocating for us Old Law Parole people. I've been imprisoned 26 years for reckless homicide and had a parole hearing before Doug Drankiewicz 2/14/20. It was a sham. He scheduled it for 15 minutes ... but used only 12 as his mind was already made up. He didn't know, or care, about the programs and schooling I've completed, even though I listed everything in my pre-parole forms. He didn't even know what college degree I've acquired while incarcerated. I completed the A.O.D.A program the D.O.C. recommend, only for Drankiewicz to tell me he wouldn't accept it, and that he was going to talk to the institution about giving me another one. I've had only 2 minor conduct reports since 2018 but the information Drankiewicz had about them was incorrect. He also thought my grandma lived in Nashville Tenn. (she lives in Neillsville, Wis.).

Although the PRC committee said I'd most likely be home by this summer, Drankiewicz gave me a 12 month defer. This shows he plans to keep me in prison until my July 2024 MR date.

Especially troubling is that months ago my psychologist told me almost verbatim what Drankiewicz said at my hearing. How did she know what he'd say?

After receiving your 1/30/20 email about Drankiewicz actively working to undermine Tate, I asked my psychologist if she heard about this. She confirmed his opposition to the wishes of the parole chairman and administration. In 2015 Drankiewicz told me that if it were up to him, those responsible for a loss of life would never be released from prison.

Quick backstory. I came to prison 26 years ago without a high school diploma and suffered from undiagnosed mental health issues. I promptly enrolled and completed my HSED. After that I enrolled in a two year carpentry program and received my degree (Advanced Cabinet Making) from Century College. I graduated with honors and on the Dean's list. I then worked during the day as a carpentry tutor while taking college courses in the evening. I am currently 2 classes shy of my second degree in business management.

I have taken and completed Anger Management, Critical Thinking, Families in Focus, Restorative Justice 101, Rebuilding the Web of Relationships & Repairing the Harm, and apology letter workshop. I stayed active in the Restorative Justice Program and V.O.C.A.R.E.  In addition, I completed the Art Program and the Advanced Art Program before becoming the Art Room Tutor. I volunteered as a mentor in the Mental Health Program. I also worked as a math tutor and Recreational Activities Coordinator where I organized all intramural sporting events.

I was sent to the Wisconsin Resource Center (WRC) and completed Emotions Management Skills (EMS), Men's Trauma-Recovery and Empowerment Model (M-TREM) Group, Mental Health Education-Anxiety, and Pre-Release Social Skills Emotions/Conflict Management Program. I was then placed in (EMDR) an intense one-on-one trauma program. Once back in the D.O.C., I completed the AODA program.

I've spent my entire incarceration making efforts to become a better person. I've completed all programs available to me, only to be told by parole officials, "We don't care about any of that - You've not served sufficient time for punishment" or "Your release would pose an unreasonable risk to the public." When I inquired as to how much time is sufficient? I was told, "I can't tell you that."

I have no trust or confidence that Drankiewicz will treat me fairly. I do, however, trust Mr. Tate. But Mr. Tate can only help if he's made aware of his underling's arbitrary actions. Drankiewicz's decision is not appealable, but it is reviewable by Mr. Tate. (Unfortunately, the audio recording of my hearing cannot be obtained without a court order. But I'm certain Mr. Tate has access to it.)

If it doesn't put you out too much, would you please encourage Mr. Tate to give meaningful consideration to my situation? I'd be forever grateful and indebted to you.

Thank you very much. I really do appreciate any help you can provide.

Ronnie Schultz.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contributors